Friday, May 16, 2008

On Tuesday I made a mistake.

I went to the grocery store without a list on Tuesday. As I left work I was thinking of the greens in the fridge and how I'd better have a salad since they are probably not going to be good for too long This is as bad as, if not worse than, going to the grocery store hungry. Everything looks so gosh darn tempting! Over in produce I fell victim to the siren song of a cute potato, which I boiled up and made into my second attempt at this delicious potato focaccia. Of course, that meant that I had to buy a sleeve of overpriced but smokey-yummy cherry tomatoes. (Quel bummer, non?)

While I wander my way through the oh-so-narrow aisles, my mind almost always races. What recipes have I read this week that sound wonderful? What foods have I been mulling over trying to think of a way to transform them? What on earth is in my tiny cupboard at home? What's in the fridge? Anyway, with all these swirling thoughts and wonderful recipes bouncing around, you probably think I ate something shockingly complex for dinner, right? Nope:

I had an avocado for dinner. One of my favorite things to do in the kitchen is open and pit an avocado. There is something very satisfying an primal about the thwack! of the knife into the pit, and when you twist to remove it you get this beautiful creamy green cup. So I filled it up with Balsamic vinegar, sprinkled it with my new no-excuses salt, and dug in with my trusty spoon. In the end, all that was left in the bowl was a pair of little leathery boats.

No comments:

Post a Comment