Friday, October 1, 2010

Stone Soup Farm CSA: Week Seventeen

Stone Soup Farm CSA Week Seventeen

Week Seventeen. You know what that means, right? It's almost over. CSA season is winding down. Luckily we signed up for a winter share, so we'll get a couple of large shares each month in November and December, but I'm trying to reconcile myself to buying grocery store vegetables again, eventually.

Speaking of which: have you seen this video from the Boston Public Market Association? Take two minutes and watch it, and if you have time or inclination, take another two minutes and email the governor to show your support. As someone who wants to be buying local produce year round, I would consider it a personal favor.

Oh, right! This week's share from Stone Soup: two delicata squash, two pounds of sweet potatoes, a few hot peppers, a pound of carrots, a bunch of chard, a few shallots, a bunch of parsley, a watermelon (the last one, according to the sign), and two small eggplants (one is hiding behind the squashes). We made an  awesome recipe from Dana Treat last night and ate sweet potato wedges with yogurt dipping sauce alongside sauteed garlicky chard. I only changed one thing, subbing parsley which we had for cilantro which we didn't, so I won't write out the recipe, but if you've got an abundance of sweet potatoes I highly recommend it. And don't skip the sauce! Have a great weekend, my friends.

5 comments:

  1. Finn came home with ONE shallot and you've got four! Either he's stiffing us, or you're smarter than he is.

    I can't wait for watermelons to stop coming. Thank god. We have three on the counter. Suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's weird. The sign said 1/4 pound, so that's what I took... And I positively loath watermelon. I try them every year but I haven't liked them yet. Maybe an aqua fresca?

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, are the watermelons still good? i'll take 'em :) an aqua fresca sounds like a fabulous idea for them though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made that roasted sweet potato dish for lunch today. Wow, that's a keeper. I subbed basil for the cilantro...outstanding.
    xoxo
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love delicata squash! It's so much easier to handle than other squash varities and is excellent in a fall chili. You're making me miss my CSA share so much. It's funny, I absolutely love watermelon. I love juicing them very simply with my juicer or making popsicles, though if you already don't like it neither of these recipes will probably be a help. :-/

    ReplyDelete