Saturday, November 21, 2015

Sloppy Josies (Vegetarian Sloppy Joes)

Untitled

My friend Liz (who calls these Sloppy Junes after her toddler) recommended this Eating Well recipe, and since I already had a bunch of pinto-ish beans cooked (I think they're actually tiger's eye beans?), I made a non-slow-cooker version. I started by sauteeing an onion, a pepper, some garlic, and two carrots, then adding 1 tbsp chili powder, 8 oz tomato sauce, a blorp of tomato paste, 1-2 tbsp soy sauce, some molasses, some honey, and maybe a tablespoon of dijon mustard (I was pretty proud of this one: I swished some water in an almost empty mustard container to get the very last bits out *and* add the water to the recipe). I also added the end of a cabbage, thinly sliced, which I really enjoyed, plus the last 2-3 cups of cooked beans, and the last cup of roasted butternut squash. I simmered it all together for like half an hour and added some more seasoning in the form of soy sauce. I wish I had thought to add worcestershire, but that would have rendered these not-vegetarian, and also I forgot. Served over some old sub rolls I unearthed from the depths of the freezer. Josie ate beans beans beans and also some of the bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment