Sunday, July 17, 2011

Pickled Cherry Pan Sauce

DSC_0012

Serving duck with cherries isn't ground breaking; people have been serving fowl and fruit  together for ages. I wanted to show you, though, that I did something with my pickled cherries other than just eat them with cheese and crackers! I seared two duck breasts in my trusty cast iron skillet. When they were done I spooned out the excess fat and added two cups of duck stock (chicken stock would have been fine, too) and a sprig of rosemary. I let the stock reduce down to less than a cup, then I fished out the rosemary and added a handful of pickled cherries and a big pinch of salt. I let it simmer for another minute, just until the cherries were warmed through. I really liked how the sweet tart cherries cut through the richness of the duck breast.

No comments:

Post a Comment