Thursday, August 11, 2011

Arugula Nectarine Salad

salad

This salad was an afterthought. Monday night I roasted a chicken, Zuni style, and we had some CSA potatoes that I cooked up and dressed with a simple vinaigrette and some garden chives. Everything on the plate was sort of the same color so I dug some arugula out of the fridge and sliced up a nectarine (the fuzzless peach!). I was pleasantly surprised when the salad turned out to be the best part of dinner, the smoky bitterness of arugula playing counterpoint to the summery sweet nectarine. Don't you just love it when things work out so well?

Arugula Nectarine Salad
serves two, multiplies easily

If I had a red onion around, I would have added a few thin slices for color and bite. 

1 bunch arugula
1 nectarine
olive oil
sherry vinegar
kosher salt
1 ounce goat cheese, crumbled

Cut or tear the arugula into bite size pieces and put them in a bowl. Slice the nectarine into wedges onto the arugula, then dress it with a splash of olive oil and a smaller splash of vinegar. Season the salad with a hearty pinch of salt, and toss. Divide the salad on two plates and top each with goat cheese crumbles.

No comments:

Post a Comment