Friday, March 8, 2013

Dreaming of spring while the snow falls: Kitchen Garden Farm Share


So it's snowing again. I can't even tell you how profoundly unamused I am by this fact. Here's my walk to work this morning:
I get that you don't technically have to shovel till after it stops snowing, but I think only about 15% of people had made even the most cursory pass of their sidewalks this morning. #wishihadsnowshoes #stillsnowing #ugh
Note the lack of shoveling. I genuinely wished I had a pair of snow shoes. We're supposed to have dinner tonight with one of Adam's cousins, who is allegedly flying in around 4. It's 11 now and it's still coming down hard, so we'll see. I was perusing some old draft posts and saw these photos from last year's spring treat* CSA share and I thought I'd share them in case you, too, wanted to remember what spring/summer looks like.


51: CSA spring share pickup #1
 First spring treat share: onions, spinach, potatoes, cabbage, eggs, lettuce mix and parsley. Some silly fool put a cabbage in the swap box, and I traded a jar of jam for it since I have a lot of jam.

Spring Treat Share #3
Spring treat share: green garlic, harukei turnips, popcorn, Four Star Farms cornmeal, eggs, chili flakes, spinach and tea.

79: Spring Treat Share #4
Spring treat share: spinach, eggs, sunchokes, radishes, chives, shallots, scallions, asparagus and Sidehill Farm Yogurt.

107: Final Spring Treat Share
Final spring treat share: two heads of lettuce, white russian kale, bok choy, radishes, lettuce mix, eggs and an entire quart (!) of strawberries.

122: Kitchen Garden Farm Share 1
First summer share: radishes, spinach, butterhead lettuce, swiss chard and garlic scapes (woo!).

*Our CSA share is with Kitchen Garden Farm in Sunderland, MA; in past years we've purchased a "spring treat share" as well as the summer and early fall shares. This year they switched it up to a summer and a winter share, and we've been enjoying excellent produce from them all winter long - onions, garlic, winter squash, lots of sweet and regular potatoes, herbs and greens. Pickups are every two weeks until June, but alas, I don't get to do the picking up - we're signed up for a downtown pickup near where Adam works, and I work too far away and too late on Wednesdays. I'm hoping to be able to photograph some of our shares again this summer, but often my very kind husband has already put them away by the time I get home... and I'm lazy. If you're looking for a CSA with pickup options in Boston and various parts of Cambridge, I strongly encourage you to check out The Kitchen Garden - the produce is great and they are excellent communicators. And it's almost spring! Please?

1 comment:

  1. Hey, How are going on?

    It is very effective article with the information of world wide. It is well written and effective also it is very informative. I really feel so good after reading your content AS I like to share Looking for Gold coast kitchens? We exclusive accumulation in top wellborn Gold coast kitchens that junction unitedly to create the nonpareil fourpenny kitchen. Find the best Gold coast kitchens today.


    Thank You Very Much For Create That Nice & Cool Article.

    ReplyDelete