Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Stuffed Squash

280: Stuffed Squarshes

Dinner! I mentioned to you recently about how I deal with leftovers, but I forgot to mention this other thing I do, which is to stuff leftover things into vegetables. Sometimes tomatoes, sometimes zucchini, most often delicata squash. I LOVE delicata squash - did you know you can eat the skin? Because you can, and it's delicious. So here is what I did this morning.

Stuffed Squash

Cut two delicata squashes in half and scoop out the seeds. Salt them and oil them up a bit (not too much!) and put them cut side up on a baking sheet. Stick them in a 375 oven for about half an hour, or until they're tender all the way through. Then mix together the following:

2 cups leftover cooked rice (or any cooked grain)
1/2 cup leftover chimichurri  (or some chopped herbs and a splash of vinegar and oil)
1 cup leftover cooked spinach  (or other leftover veg)
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (or other melty cheese)

Taste the mix and adjust the seasoning if necessary with more salt or vinegar or lemon juice.

Pile this mix into the squash-boats. At this point, if you like, you can put the assembled stuffed squashes into the fridge until you get home from work. Then, put them in a 375 oven until the rice on top is crispy and the cheese is melty and delicious. Took about half an hour for me. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment