Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Delightful, Delicious Atlanta

I like Atlanta a lot, guys. I really do. And it's not just because some of my favorite people live there. I was there a year and a half ago for a visit home with Christy, and now that Christy has moved back there I went last weekend to visit her. Lu flew in from the Big Apple also, and we celebrated her birthday.

Upon our arrival in the ATL, we went to Mellow Mushroom for pizza (yum) and sat around drinking Trader Joe's Simpler Times Lager (yum, also and cheap!) wearing a bird on our heads a la Carrie Bradshaw. What?


Saturday we headed off to the Stone Mountain Highland Games at Stone Mountain Park, where we feasted on Turkey Legs, boiled peanuts, and delicious pastries. This is Elaine, a baker, and a Bakewell Tart. I WILL figure this one out, because oh em gee, so tasty. I had two.

What else was there for entertainment? Well, the caber toss, of course! A caber is a 120 pound, 20 foot log. It takes four guys to carry it:

But only one to toss it:

Sometimes it doesn't work so well, and in fact we only saw a couple of people get it to flip over (which is the whole point, I think).

After the caber toss we wandered around the grounds ogling people in kilts. Look at all the kilts! Also, note the dagger in the sock. Hee.

There were many tartans on display, and much sitting to be sat. Sigh. I miss it already.

I had sort of overdosed on photos after the Games, so I only have very crappy photos of the rest of the night (and the rest of the weekend), but we had a wonderful meal at Watershed (salmon croquettes, oh my), and a hilarious evening at Metalsome live band karaoke. I realize this post was not all that food centric, but hopefully you'll forgive me if I tell you my next post will be about cheesecake. Key lime cheesecake. Oh yes. Consider yourselves warned.

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog! Key lime cheesecake looks amazing Bruno! Love, KUSA

    ReplyDelete